Monday, June 29, 2015

old linens


We have an old table runner which I really like; it's linen-y, with a wide cotton crochet edge all around. I had to mend it today because the edging was coming away in places. One spot was easier than the other. In one area, the edge of the fabric was shredded-looking, as if some weft threads had been removed there. Not knowing how to fix it properly, I placed a piece of similar fabric underneath and just did some running stitches by hand on the right side. Over and over, in a matching thread, which was very hard to see.


What I ended up with is an obvious patched-up area, but it doesn't bother me. The loose threads are all stitched down, and they're not going anywhere. So, I'm satisfied.

I also have a small almost-square tablecloth of sorts, which was faded when I saw it at the thrift store, but I liked it because of the colors. I'm sure it's made in India. But it doesn't cover much and yesterday I suddenly thought it would be better cut up for napkins. I've been wanting more cloth napkins. So I cut that up and pressed under the edges today. They're waiting to be sewn.


3 comments:

  1. yay for mending and oh! those napkins are going to be so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that lace edging might actually be bobbin lace! I can't tell properly from the photo, but it looks to me like twists and weaves rather than crochet-chains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Hana! I've got it in my lap now, and am looking at google images. When I see cotton lace edging, I think "crochet", without thinking about it. On examination, it obviously is not crocheted. Smart girl!

      Delete