We have an old table runner which I really like; it's linen-y, with a wide cotton crochet edge all around. I had to mend it today because the edging was coming away in places. One spot was easier than the other. In one area, the edge of the fabric was shredded-looking, as if some weft threads had been removed there. Not knowing how to fix it properly, I placed a piece of similar fabric underneath and just did some running stitches by hand on the right side. Over and over, in a matching thread, which was very hard to see.
What I ended up with is an obvious patched-up area, but it doesn't bother me. The loose threads are all stitched down, and they're not going anywhere. So, I'm satisfied.
I also have a small almost-square tablecloth of sorts, which was faded when I saw it at the thrift store, but I liked it because of the colors. I'm sure it's made in India. But it doesn't cover much and yesterday I suddenly thought it would be better cut up for napkins. I've been wanting more cloth napkins. So I cut that up and pressed under the edges today. They're waiting to be sewn.