Tuesday, February 17, 2015

why try to fast

"Christ...is the new Adam. At the beginning of his ministry in the gospel of Matthew, we read, 'When He had fasted 40 days and 40 nights, He became hungry.' Hunger is that state in which we realize our dependence on something else  -  when we face the ultimate question: on what does my life depend? Satan tempted both Adam and Christ, saying, 'Eat, for your hunger is proof that you depend entirely on food, that your life is in food.' Adam believed and ate. Christ said, 'Man does NOT live by bread alone.' This liberates us from total dependence on food, on matter, on the world. Thus, for the Christian, fasting is the only means by which man recovers his true spiritual nature. In order for fasting to be effective, then, the spirit must be a part of it. Christian fasting is not concerned with losing weight. It is a matter of prayer and of the spirit. And because of that, because it is truly a place of the spirit, true fasting may well lead to temptation, and weakness and doubt and irritation. In other words, it will be a real fight between good and evil, and very likely we shall fail many times in these battles. But the very discovery of the Christian life as 'fight' and 'effort' is an essential aspect of fasting."

                                                      -   from the USCCB website

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I find that when I fast and sincerely seek God in it, that breakthrough comes. When I am facing things so much bigger than me, I decide it is time to fast. When I am stuck in my walk, I fast. When I want to hear from heaven in a matter that is urgent for me, I fast. I can say every time I have embarked on a true fast (done in the right spirit) I have had God move mightily on my behalf.

    On Monday I just finished a 40 day fast. Two major fears were broken off my life during this time. I spent a lot of time in prayer and wanting to hear from heaven. God required me to take some steps to "get it done" but when I stepped out in obedience to what He was revealing to me... I SURE did.

    Fasting isn't easy, but boy is it worthwhile!

    Kimmie
    mama to 8
    one homemade and 7 adopted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a testimony, Kimmie! You are a true example of love and faithfulness. And perseverance! So important.

      Delete