A year ago I made a skirt from some fairly heavy weight cotton velvet. I wore it once.
The problem was, because of the thickness, I didn't know how to go about hemming it. I didn't want a lump at the bottom. I was able to wear it once because I just cut it and wore it that way. But the nature of velvet is that you can't iron out any wrinkles, so I knew I'd have to always wear it once and then wash it. But, it wasn't hemmed, so I couldn't wash it! A dilemma.
That thing has sat at the bottom of my hamper for a whole year. Oh, I've had all sorts of ideas for hemming it. I really wanted to attach another weighty fabric at the bottom, but didn't know what. I thought of making a quilted piece, a wide section, to be attached there. But, even though it is almost an upholstery weight it still has a nice drape - anything quilted would have spoiled it. I pondered the situation I can't tell you how many times, coming up with nothing. Until yesterday.
My sewing machine isn't fancy, but it does have two or three decorative stitches, and I decided to try one at the hem. A small scallop - I practiced first on a scrap, of course. Found a full spool of some vintage gold thread, and did it today. I know vintage thread is supposed to be weak and they say don't use it. But older thread often has a wonderful sheen and this makes a pretty, shiny scallop all around. There is no seam here which is depending on a strong thread to keep it together.
I can wash it now, and we'll see what happens. I'll trim it near to the sewing, and hope for the best. It really is pretty, and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!