There's a bean salad recipe in Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home which is a great substitute for potato or pasta salad, and much faster; I made it today.
It's basically a mixture of canned beans, chopped plum tomatoes and basil, with some salt. You then heat up some olive oil and add minced garlic, heating it for no more than two minutes. Pour it over the bean mix, and let it sit a half hour for flavors to mix. (I forgot this step today, but it tasted fine.)
So, what I did today for three people was mix:
- three cans of any kind of beans, drained and rinsed
- plum tomatoes, chopped (or canned diced tomatoes) *
- plenty of fresh basil (or dried if that's what you have) *
- some salt
- three tablespoons or so of olive oil, warmed up on medium
- three garlic cloves, minced
I think it's best at room temperature. So easy, so fast, so good!
*amounts up to you