Thursday, September 20, 2012

making my own salad dressing

I'd made salad dressing a couple of times, but it always seemed like I was feeling pressured to whip some up at the last minute, right at dinner time, when I was often tired enough already. So, although I liked the idea, I felt like it was just one too many things to do. But every time I bought a bottle of the stuff, I thought of making my own.

I had another issue with it - I'd put the leftover in the fridge and it would solidify. By the time dinner was served, if I hadn't planned ahead in getting it to room temperature we'd be out of luck.

But I really wanted to have homemade dressing.


It was Leila's doing - it was something she'd said in this post    "Please don't tell me you buy salad dressing!"
That remark followed me around for a couple of months. Finally, as the last bottle got low, I came across another dressing recipe and tried it. It said to mix most ingredients except the oil, and then pour it in a stream, whisking all the while. Well!  It didn't separate! And, I discovered you can leave it out on the counter! It only takes a couple of minutes! I did try the put-it-all-in-a-jar and shake-it-up method, but it doesn't emulsify quite as well that way, so I'm sticking with the whisk.


I will probably buy dressing again - some fancy type perhaps, until I get the hang of different recipes. But it's funny, isn't it, how some things seem so much trouble for so long, and then suddenly they fit into your schedule and it's fine?

I'm happy.


Joining Leila and Deirdre for
round button chicken

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Lisa! Store bought seems to have so much sodium that I rarely use it here. Nothing better than homemade!

    ReplyDelete