My quilt is done.
The machine stitching lines are not as parallel as I'd hoped but it's good-sized, it's colorful, it will be warm.
My first object in making this was to use up large amounts of fabric, of which I had too much. I grabbed a colored toile. It had three scenes in it and I cut them out, not very precisely, which gave me 23 little "pictures". I'd just been looking at Jane Brocket's quilt book - The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking - and was really liking the ones made simply with wide strips. So, I got the idea to make three rows with these vignettes, alternating them with strips of (somewhat) coordinating fabric. I had a large piece of a yellow with pink rosebuds which looked well with the toile.
The next thing I needed to do was try and get these little pictures into a uniform size; I had just quickly cut them. I thought I should "frame" them, and for that I found a deep blue batik; when that ran out I used a deep pink with small yellow dots.I sewed some to the sides of each "picture. Then, I needed to make my columns with matching fabric in between, and I found three fabrics which matched well - a green with machine embroidery, a golden yellow with white dots and a yellow with flowers. I made my three rows.
The white I used for a sashing made the whole thing too big for the backing I'd chosen, so I pieced it with something else - both with roses. I made the binding from a deep berry color.
My machine stitching went a bit off course at times - I need to improve on that. Overall, I'm very happy with it anyway - I made a quilt!