Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ides of March {p,h,f,r}

I just just looked out the front door and noticed that my daffodils are ready to bloom.


It's March fifteenth.  In southern New England.  I don't know what to think, except that this is the most pleasant winter we've had, and our temperatures this week have been May-like. Next week is supposed to be in the seventies. May it continue, and I thank God for it!


Was in the kitchen cleaning today, and decided to take down the curtains over the sink.


I have no idea how to photograph a window with sun shining in - I suppose it's hard to see, but I show this because I know that I have to make new curtains, and I keep putting it off.  Since there's a shade on this window, I thought I'd like to look at it bare for a while, while I ponder what I'm going to do.

The present curtains are cute,


but they're quite old. I've even avoided washing them as long as I can, because I know they'll fall apart.

They're already starting.


and I've repaired them as much as is worth the effort to do.

I have some nice linen/rayon blend which I bought for this purpose, and I guess I've been waiting for the right inspiration, but haven't had any 'aha' moments - I'm just going to have to make some regular curtainy curtains.    So, those are my reals for this week - my early daffodils and my sad curtains.

And I have one pretty -


Dolly, of course!  I have no children, but I do have two pretty cats, so they do show up here often.



round button chickenThanks to Rosie and Leila, and I hope spring is in the air wherever you are!

9 comments:

  1. At least you have the fabric for your curtains! For me, choosing fabric is the hard part - the design is usually easy. Now that you've told "us" about it, you'll have to post the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, I almost didn't post this for that reason - I dread messing them up. Oh, well - confidence!

      Delete
  2. Your Kitty is pretty! Good luck with the curtains...I have no curtains because I cant decide what I want! Maybe you can inspire the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to wash our curtains. It's just getting around to it that's tough... I'm also hoping to make new ones for the kitchen but am trying not to buy any more fabric at the moment. We'll see how that goes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is there is there is!
    Spring in the air, I mean. Today it was so sunny that some people only wore T-shirts. (I didn't; I had a running nose the two days before.)

    Sad about the curtains, because they really are nice. What's your new fabric like? Perhaps we readers would have an "aha" moment for you. :-) As I've been thinking about lace recently (digging up some examples I got from grandma), I have one thought, that adding lace to them might be nice - just like the red and rickrack on the old ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is in the dryer now - I decided to wash it tonight. It's line/rayon, but not drapey - it's medium weight. I like it - I had it in my mind I wanted white linen curtains in the kitchen, but that was too expensive; this was much better.
      Because it's not lightweight, they won't be very full. And each window will be different; well there are two windows and the back door.
      Over the sink, I just want a valance - but I can't make up my mind what type. I also just found a cotton (but looks like a linen weave) tablecloth with red stitching which would make a great valance, too. My mind is churning.

      Delete
  5. Oh, the sweetness of a kitty who's located a sunny spot to nap. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our weather is acting more typical of a central Oregon March, cold, windy, rainy. But I know the spring flowers are just around the corner... Dolly looks like she's not quite ready for the energy of spring!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet kitty! Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete