Thursday, January 26, 2012

bread, snow and Jane Austen

{happy}
I was happy to find a good rye bread recipe for the machine, from The Complete Book of Bread & Bread Machines, by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter.  I know I'll keep trying new recipes, but I'm glad to have this one. 




We had a snowfall on Saturday, and I have to say, it was PERFECT, if you have to have snow. We only got about three inches, but quite enough to transform everything into beauty and freshness. And, because it was so cold - in the teens - it was light as dust (well, almost), and could be disposed of very easily!  What could be better?  This winter is perfect so far, and a real blessing against last year's terrors.  I hope it may continue!


my boots, mittens and 180s after a very easy little sweep outside  
{happy}


I was also very happy to find a bread slicer. I've been struggling to slice my bread and making a mess of it. Isn't this pretty?  And it folds up neatly afterwards.  
{happy} and {pretty}


{funny}    I've been reading Mansfield Park - I'm nearing the end. Fanny has gone home to visit after many years away, and is dismayed by the lack of order in the household and lack of discipline among the inhabitants.
Jane Austen's very dry wit gave me a laugh this morning -

""Betsey too, a spoilt child, trained up to think the alphabet her greatest enemy..."   


Apparently Mary Russell  Mitford once said that she could almost cut off one of her hands if it would enable her to write like Jane Austen with the other.


round button chicken           Thanks to Leila & Rosie.

11 comments:

  1. Nothing better than homemade rye bread! I must try it myself - SOON!
    Sounds like you DID have the perfect snowfall. We rarely have snow here, not even three inches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bread looks wonderful! what kind of machine do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good rye bread recipe would make me happy too.. in fact a bread machine would make me even happier!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lisa, thanks for visiting my blog. Isn't freshly baked bread wonderful? I love my bread machine and make several loaves of bread a week, but for the life of me can't cut straight slices. A slicer that folds up sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually is a guide for slicing, it doesn't slice.

      Delete
  5. I have a deep, deep love for rye bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want a bread slicer! I'm so jealous.;) Thanks for visiting my blog. I really like decorating cookies...it's so fun for me and very therapeutic! I like your cat, too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make bread machine bread too, and I would love a rye recipe!! Any way you could post it or email it to me?

    ReplyDelete