Thursday, September 22, 2011

a happy and a real

I have one photo this week, but it's both a {real}, and a {happy}.



The Four Cardinal Virtues, by Josef Pieper, has been recommended by our own Leila and I'm finding it one of those you know you'll have to read more than once - it just takes time for our finite and distracted minds to absorb.   A quote about fortitude:

"It is possible to be genuinely brave only when all those real or apparent assurances fail, that is, when the natural man is afraid; not, however, when he is afraid out of unreasoning timidity, but when, with a clear view of the real situation facing him, he cannot help being afraid, and, indeed, with good reason. If in this supreme test, in face of which the braggart falls silent and every heroic gesture is paralyzed, a man walks straight up to the cause of his fear and is not deterred from doing that which is good; if, moreover, he does so for the sake of good  -  which ultimately means for the sake of God, and therefore not from ambition or from fear of being taken for a coward  -  this man, and he alone, is truly brave."

This book is {real}ly good!

The {happy} part is the crocheting I'm doing.  I found this link on my desktop last night, and flipped!  I not only have a cluttered house, but even my computer desktop is too cluttered, with projects I found appealing and didn't want to lose track of. Then they were forgotten. Hopefully, no more! Isn't this a beautiful bag?  My colors aren't as pretty as hers, but I want to use up whatever worsted weight yarn I've got hanging around. As for following the (or any) crochet instructions - well, I intend to bring it in to work tomorrow and make sure from my co-workers that I'm on the right track.


round button chicken

Thanks, Rosie and Leila!

5 comments:

  1. So glad that you are enjoying your book.

    Crochet, oh I wish I could
    but unfortunately I am not gifted in the crafty department.

    My Mother in law was brilliant at crochet and did many projects for my children when they were babies, oh how I wish she were here now and could instruct me in the art.

    Enjoy your work and I am so envious.


    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hope is that somebody'll come along who can show you how to do some of this stuff - practice and patience are all you need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm reading that, too! And you are SO right, it's going to take a few readings, but it's SO good.

    And you found Lucy at Attic 24! Her crochet is is rainbow of happiness.

    You should check out pintrest to keep track of all the projects you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good way of putting it - a rainbow of happiness. I haven't crocheted in years, but she's making me get the urge again.
    The thing that's keeping me from Pinterest is that you have to be registered with either Twitter or Facebook, and I'm not either. I really don't want to be. And I don't think I want to have another thing that keeps me in front of this screen, you know what I mean? But it is a good idea, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Lucy at Attic 24-she has such cheery projects! I am going to check out that book as well. Auntie Leila has never steered me wrong...

    ReplyDelete