Sunday, January 9, 2011

a Christmas prayer

I received this in the mail and really wanted to save it for next year, but I can't guarantee that I'll remember I have it, much less know where I've put it. So, here it is now -


A Christmas Prayer,   by Robert Louis Stevenson


Loving Father,
Help us remember
the birth of Jesus,
that we may share in the
song of the angels,
the gladness of the shepherds,
and worship of the wise men.
Close the door of hate and open
the door of love all over the world.
Let kindness come with every gift
and good desires with every greeting.
Deliver us from evil by the blessing
which Christ brings, and teach us
to be merry with clear hearts.
May the Christmas morning
make us happy to be thy children,
and Christmas evening bring us
to our beds with grateful thoughts,
forgiving and forgiven,
for Jesus' sake.
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. ooh I'm so glad you posted this now. I'm going to have my son print it off for me so I can have it for next year. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad - I really wanted to save it for next year, but I knew I had to be realistic. So, now you're giving me a good reason for it - I feel better!

    ReplyDelete