Friday, November 26, 2010

sugared and spiced apples

Thanksgiving morning I set about making an apple pie. I like Granny Smiths for this, and I chopped them up, added the cinnamon and nutmeg, and began putting in the sugar, tasting, adding more sugar, tasting, etc.  I wanted it just so - but I knew I had cut more than I needed, so the tasting was okay.

I got it right and proceeded to fill up the pie crust, and there was quite a bit left over.  And, how delicious those tart apples are, with sugar on them, and some spices mixed in!  I asked myself, (not for the first time), why I don't regularly cut up a couple of Granny Smiths with a tablespoon or two of sugar, for a winter snack?


Absolutely delightful!  I've gotta remember this!
                                                                               

4 comments:

  1. an apple pie sounds great for the weekend! i love the combination of apples and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, why don't we all? I'm just making pancakes with grated apple in them...

    "Granny Smith's" - I wonder whether that's a specifically English-speaking-world variety, or whether it exists in my world under a different name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Homemade apple pie is on my "to-do" list soon. I've actually never made one from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hana, Granny Smith apples are always green-skinned - they don't turn red. They cook nicely, and they are tart, if that's what you like in a pie.

    ReplyDelete