Monday, November 8, 2010

"The Christmas Mystery"


A number of years ago, we received this book at the library, and it ended up in the adult section.  I took it home, loving Christmas and fairy tales as I do.

The Christmas Mystery, by Jostein Gaarder, is an absolutely charming and delightful story about a little boy who goes into an old store with his father at the beginning of the Advent season, and finds a very old, almost forgotten Advent calender. And there begins a wonderful adventure he has, along with his parents; and you will, too, if you get this book from your library in time for December 1st.  If you have children of differing ages,  read it together every day in December up until the 24th - but I don't want to say what happens.  If you're interested, read about it on Amazon - but don't pay any attention to the critics!  There are only one or two.


I tell you, this is a lovely book, with illustrations by Rosemary Wells. Every year I try to find someone who'll read it, and now, it's your turn. It'll be something your whole family can do together every day up until Christmas. And it will help put you in a good frame of mind for that blessed day.
                                                                                

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the suggestion, I will be looking for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that sounds right up my street, I'll have to look out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, ladies; that's why I mentioned it nice and early - so it can be found in time for December.
    It has an old world quality to it, angels with a lot of personality, and it's a definite Christian story. And, you're right, Rachel - I don't have any children and I also love that kind of thing. It sits on the shelf like an unknown treasure and I try to find someone who might like it.

    ReplyDelete