Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture



We are in week seven of our participation in a cooperative with a local farm; we pick up our veg every Monday, not knowing what we'll get!  This week, our haul was:

  • 3 onions
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 beets
  • 2 large radishes
  • a small head of lettuce
  • a nice bunch of basil
  • 2 yellow squash
  • 14 - !  pickling cukes
  • 5 tomatoes - 3 regular and 2 plum
  • a head of broccoli
  • 2 jalapenos and 2 little other hot-ish peppers
  • 3 green bell peppers and 1 Italian frying pepper
  • a sprig of dill

I think that's it!  So, we've already used the lettuce. The basil is in the freezer. I made broccoli soup the other day and also used the carrots and squash. I gave half the cucumbers to a neighbor who has 3 house guests.

We find ourselves eating things we don't normally buy.  Sugar snap peas, for example. Beets. I was getting weary of the way I was preparing beets, (steamed, with tarragon), so now I peel them, slice them thickly, steam them and cool them.  Then, serve with a honey dijon type dressing.  Much better!

We never eat hot peppers, but we're gonna try.  It's a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment